Match Report – Loch Lomond RFC v Bishopton RFC 15/09/2018

Bishopton – 41


 Loch Lomond – 3



Tries; Ruari Taylor (2), Ross McGowan, Ryan Moore, Kyle Haldane, Gary Clark

Conversion; Max Catto (4)

Penalty; Max Catto

Yellow Card; Ross McGowan

Coming off the back of two bonus point wins to start the season off Bishopton were looking to build on this with a trip to Loch Lomond there were a number of changes to be made this week, with several players going out due to prior engagements and small injuries. This meant it was a good opportunity to test the strength and depth of the squad.

The match got off to a slow start with the opening 30 minutes not having either team take advantage of the possession that they were sharing, with bishopton looking to get the ball about the park and let it do the majority of the work. And Lomond looking to take the more direct route of rumbling up the middle of the park. Both teams were swapping penalties, but it was Bishopton that took the first hit as Lomond opted to take a kick at goal on the half hour mark. The kick sailed through the posts to put the hosts 3-0 ahead.

But it was Bishopton that took advantage from the restart by pushing forward into the Lomond half with several striking runs from both the backs and the forwards. As Clark latched on to the ball and drove towards the line and was stopped just short, Taylor was quick off the mark from the back of the ruck and was able to make a dive for the line and got the ball down right on the post protector. The conversion was picked up by Catto and the Bish were out in front. 3-7. But the Bish fortune was not to be so lucky in the after math as Bishopton were soon a man down with Lomond on the attach McGowan looked to put in a tackle as the man offloaded the ball. As he went over the referee deemed the tackle to have gone over the horizontal and produced the yellow card just before half time.

Taylor gets the first try in.

Moving into the second half with the man down Bishopton were not phased and picked up an early penalty which Catto calmly slotted over to extend the lead to 3-10. Being a man down didn’t put much pressure on the well trained and conditioned Bish, but once back up to full strength it was the cautioned McGowan who was out to make amends. As he started off with some strong running and fending defenders off, before Moore was able to take the ball into the 5-meter channel before it was worked out to Stand Off Catto who lightly and quickly moved it on the McGowan who was back in the attacking line. Allowing him to make the last few meters before diving for the line. Catto’s took a slip on the conversion attempt keeping the score to 3-15.

McGowan makes amends

It was at this point Lomond started to unravel and Bishopton where able to jump on top of it straight from the restart with several bishopton players bouncing through various phases of the Lomond line and working back to within 10 meters of the Lomond try line at which point Hooker Ryan Moore was on hand to take the ball in to score with a hard brake to the line with a little attempt of a challenge. Catto converted from in front of the posts to take it to 3-22.

Moore dives in past several defenders

The bonus try soon followed, as Bish once again were able to get back up the pitch thanks to another penalty and were able to build off the back of a line out. The ball was swept wide from the set piece and made it back into the posts were Haldane was sitting in wait ready to power his way over the line. Catto had no problems from in front of the posts 3-29. After the restart Lomond were reduced to 14 men for the remainder of the match as they received a yellow card. With this in place Bishopton took full advantage of the extra man unlike Lomond earlier in the match.

Haldane powers in from close range

Once again Bish were able to build from another line out penalty with Clark getting onto the second phase ball 5 meters out when he went from the bottom of the ruck and was not to be stopped by a tired defence, Catto once more was on target taking the score to 3-36.

Clark flies in for his 3rd try of the season 

But Bishopton were not about to shut up shop as they were able to wrestle the restart back almost immediately they look set to keep a hold of the ball on the halfway line and see out the match. But Scrum half Ruari Taylor had other thoughts on his mind as he spotted a gap around the side of a ruck and was off like a rocket making the 50-meter sprint to the corner to grab his second try of the day. McGowan had taken over the kicking duties with Catto being given a rest. A tough first kick of the day drifted wide and left the score at 3-41.

Taylor makes the break to round out the day

But Lomond feeling the weight of the final whistle founds the strength to mount one final attack and were able to push the Bish back onto their own try line as they took advantage of a 5m line out. The Lomond pack were pushing towards the line for their first try of the day, but just as they were within scoring distance Bish managed to turn the ball over where flanker Euan Keltie was able to kick the ball to touch to bring an end to the game.


It was another strong performance for the Bish with second row Kyle Haldane picking up the Pride of the Clyde Man of the Match award for a strong presence in attack and defence, as well as a strong jumping performance at the line out. Making his first start for the club Scott Millar picked up the Leaps and Bounds Glue Player award for coming into the starting line up for the first time and putting in a vital defensive performance with several key tackles.

The bonus point victory keeps the Bish joint top of the table on 15 points and with the visit next week of Clydebank to Holmpark who had a strong result against Uddingston. Next week we also have a chance before the game see and purchasing the kit that all our sections have on offer for the coming season, and then after the game another chance to see it being modelled by the players that will be wearing it in our first social event of the season in Bishopton’s First ever Fashion Show. We hope to see you all there!