Preseason Friendly V Carrick 2nd XV

Carrick 2nd XV – 0

Bishopton – 42

Tries; Scott Baird (2), Stephen Hogan (2), Ross McGowan, Ruari Taylor

Conversions;Max Catto (2), Ruari Taylor (4)

The first XV took their final trip of preseason down to Maybole to face Carrick’s 2nd XV’s in what was set to be a very close match. With the team arriving in plenty of time the boys all got out onto the pitch and got their warm up under way.

Soon enough kick-off came around and the Bish were given the honour of getting the game underway. Stand-off Max Catto, launched a high ball up into the air with perfect placement just before the 22, the Carrick winger stepped up to secure the ball and it slipped through his grasp and was knocked on, a sign of things to come. Bish looked strong in the scrum pushing Carrick further back than the 1.5 meters that rules allow. Bishopton then broke in to some well worked manoeuvres and put a lot of pressure on Carrick’s defence. The breakthrough came on 10 minutes when Max Catto spotted some space in the back field and chipped over the defence and gathered the bouncing ball up in his stride, taken into a ruck on the 5m. Ever the opportunist No. 8 Scott Baird arrived at the back of the ruck and crashed through the Carrick defence to go over for the first try of the day! The extras were added by Max Catto.



From here the rugby began to flow. With a chip and chase from centre Stephen Hogan reaching the 5m before it was knocked on by a Carrick player resulting in a scrum. With quick ball, off of the scrum Stephen Hogan collected and found a gap in the defence to dart through, again Max added the extras taking the score to 0-14. After receiving the restart back Winger Ross McGowan collected the ball on the 22 and started to open his legs into a gallop up the park, after and exchange of passes with Ruaridh Catto before being tackled as he went over the line to be held up.

With a commanding lead and half time approaching Bishopton start to look to the play book and throw the ball about putting into practice the set pieces that have been worked on over the summer. At this time Max Catto came off the pitch with a head knock from a collision with brother Jonny Catto when both went to take the same man resulting in another knock on from Carrick. From the resulting scrum, the ball made it out to the wing and worked its way back to the centres for Hogan to wall over for his second try of the day. At this point Ruari Taylor took over the duties from the tee and added the extras to move Bishopton to 0-21.

Again, the rugby started to open up again and the front row were getting involved in taking advantage with a Carrick defence that was starting to tire, as Prop Boab Moore was able to find a gap to canter through before being taken down on the 5m to pop the ball up to McGowan to go over again only for the Referee to once again judge that the ball was held up by the 2 men that were able to catch him as he went over.
HT 0-21

At the start of the second half McGowan was able to strike lucky out on the wing as he danced his way past his opposite number before piling over the line to get his well-deserved try. In the Build-up, however Captain Bruce Abernethy took a bad knock to the knee and followed Max Catto to the bench.

Quick off the restart the ball was recycled and the ball was passed back and forth before Baird spotted the gap that let him dove over the whitewash for his 2nd of the day. With his effort to cross the line once again Baird hobbled off the pitch with a niggle to his calf, with his departure the Bish were down to 14 men.

Down to 14 Bish showed their temperament to keep hold of the ball and stay dominant over the full-strength Carrick. In moving the ball about bishopton were able to once again stretch the Carrick line with the front row combining to carry and tip off to one another before releasing to Scrum half Ruari Taylor to run in from about 15m, he then added the extras to take it to 0-42 to the Bish and to round off the scoring in what was a very exciting game.