Match Report – Moffat RFC v Bishopton RFC 06/01/2018

            Moffat   – 10


Bishopton – 32


Tries; Sandy Glassford, Ryan Moore, Harry Seymour, Boab Moore, Ruari Taylor

Conversion; Max Catto (2)

Penalty;  Max Catto

After a well-earned Christmas break the First XV were looking to get back on the road and start the new year off with a victory the only obstacle standing in their way was an away trip down to a formidable Moffat team.
The early morning meet was a frosty occasion but the temperature was due to drop further as the location of the match was reached. But a quick bus trip supplied by our main sponsor Pride of the Clyde down the M74 soon had the team at the home of the Rams.

Seymour breaking the line

The team got off to a strong start retaining possession and gaining some early yards this was soon rewarded with a penalty and the option to kick for goal was take, but with a strong win coming into play the kick dropped sort of the posts and the tone of the kicking day was soon set from this moment. But with Moffat recovering the penalty quickly they wasted no time in returning it from to the Bish backline after the quick reactions of the missed penalty were followed up by the defensive Bishopton line. From this the Bish were able to reshape and kick on back up the field carefully building phases in order to find the weaknesses in the Rams defence. This was soon found by centre Harry Seymour who burst onto the ball at blistering pace and looked like he was going to be able to run the ball in himself, with just the fullback to contend with he spun the ball out to the returning Sandy Glassford who was able to dive into the corner at top speed to secure a first try of the season. The wide conversion attempt was no match for the wind that was sensing with kicks were due to be take all afternoon. The Bish moved in to a 0-5 lead.


Moffat looked to bounce back from loosing the opening score of the match and came out at the restart and were able to reclaim the ball straight from the off and then let their forwards start to take the hard yards. Building territory and moving there way forward. But it was to be sort lived as the knock on going into contact soon came and the scrum went to Bishopton. The chip over the top soon came and Bishopton were able to collect the ball with the blistering pace of newly converted Flanker Euan Keltie recovering the ball and presenting it back for scrum half Ruari Taylor. Who’s quick thinking came into play and he looked to spin the ball out to the back only for the Moffat defence to all follow the ball allowing him to nip found the side of the ruck and make a break for the try line. But Bishopton top try scorer would have to wait for his 14th try of the season would have to wait as he was tackled by the opposition Fullback but thank full the teams second top try scorer Hooker Ryan Moore was the first man on the scene and was able to gather the pop and make the final 5 meters to the line dotting down his 10th of the season. Catto’s Kick was once again gathered by the wind. 0-10 Bishopton.

Moore crossing to hit double figures for the season

Moffat once again came back out of the gates looking to restore some of the deficit and their efforts were not in vain as they were able to claim the penalty and slot it over bringing them back with a converted score. 3-10 Bishopton. But it was now the Bish’s turn to return fire and they did it in fine form with Seymour finding several more gaps in the Moffat defence with his solid running, after two hard runs his third off the back of a scrum proved fruitful as his line left no one near him and he was able to walk across the line and place it down under the posts allowing for Catto to have the easy kick – extending the teams lead to 3-17.

Moffat once again came out the blocks looking to pull something back and went to work once more gaining hard thought territory bullying towards the try line before getting to within 8 meters and winning a penalty. Taking the quick tap and go catching the Bish defence off guard with there forwards and crashing over to the side of the posts allowing the easy kick to pull the score back to 10-17. We then reached half time with the Bish nosing ahead by one score.

The bench were kept in suspense in some rather nippy weather

Bish came out to a blistering start in the second half managing to camp on the Moffat 5-meter line for much of the opening 10 minutes after Taylor was able to take advantage of a tap penalty and get the team up there before his being tackled. A series of scrums followed before a barrage of forwards blows onto the line with Keltie going close several times himself as well as setting up the platform in his rucking over to secure the ball. But it was Boab Moore who was finally the one to break the Moffat wall down as he piled over to score his 2nd try of the season. This try secured the bonus point for Bishopton and Catto once again fired home the extras at close range. 10-24 to the Bish.

Bish were soon back up to within 5 of the line and there were more several close calls to have the ball go down one of the more closely called being when Keltie received the ball and powered his way forward with the ball handing off at least two players before he was brought down shy of the line.

Keltie brushing players aside on his way to man of the Match

The ball looked to be turned over when Seymour came from deep in the midfield to clear out the Moffat props from the ruck and save the ball for Captain Bruce Abernethy to quick pick and go only to be stopped mere inches from the line. The backs then took advantage and whipped it wide to win the penalty that Catto was able to knock over extending the lead to 10-27.

The Day ended on a high note as Glassford made a trade mark burst off receiving the high kick in the back field and made post haste up the wing allowing winger Iain Kerr to cut inside and burst up the line into the 5 meters. The scrum was awarded to the Bish and the pack decided that 5 meters was not close enough and decided to walk over to less than a meter to the line, when Taylor keenly spotted a gap and threw himself towards it getting his own try for the day and extending his points total. Once again Catto was unfortunate to have a kick from the touch line into the wind and it drifted wide to finish the game 10-32 to the Bish securing them another Bonus Point win and keeping them in the hunt for the league title!

Catto had a personal battle with the wind

The Leaps and Bounds man of the match for the day was Euan Keltie who seems to have found his position with a very impressive performance at number 6 having switched from the wing.

Club President Greame Adam congratulates Keltie on his MotM performance

Next week sees a return to action at Holmpark when we host Lanark in the return leg of the fixture from earlier in the season where Bishopton kept a clean sheet in a 45-0 victory and will be looking for more of the same this time round.