Match Report – Bishopton RFC v Millbrae RFC 08/09/2018

Bishopton – 31


 Millbrae – 7



Tries; Scott Baird, Ryan Moore, Boab Moore, Peter Duncan, Gary Clark

Conversion; Max Catto (3)


Red Card; Scott Baird


Having come off the back of a win in the opening weekend Bishopton were looking to keep the run going with the visit of Millbrae to Holmpark. There was only one change to the team that beat Helensburgh as the replacement hooker was the only change.

Things got off to a bright start after Catto got the match under way, and inside the first minute Bish forced a scrum just outside the 22 and the pack continued where they left off last week and the Millbrae scrum went in one direction towards their own try line. After moving them back substantially Number 8 Baird picked the ball from the back and went down the blind side where Millbrae were lacking in defence. Catto’s conversion dropped short of the posts to keep the score at 5-0.

Baird opens the scoring

Millbrae then went on the attack gaining a penalty and opting to kick at goal form the 10 the ball drifted wide allowing Bish to take the 22 drop out. Millbrae came straight back on the counter and gained a penalty that they put out to the 5m for a lineout, they spun the ball off the top and out to the Fly Half who was able to take advantage of a defensive error and get in under the post for the try. The conversion was good from in front of the posts and put the visitors ahead 5-7 Millbrae.

But Bish weren’t about to take the setback lying down and were straight back in attack mode gaining a penalty on Millbrae’s first attack and Catto took to the boot and fired a long-range touch finder to within 10 meters of the try line. The line out was good and Bish took on the catch and drive with the ball at the back Moore notice that the Millbrae wing was wide open and took off down the blindside, and it was a clean run in to get his second try of the season. The conversion was short again and the score remained at 10-7 keeping Bish in-front.

Moore manages to avoid the winger to slip in

Upon receiving the ball back Bish went about building the phases and going to the play book to try and break the opposition down further. And it soon came when Bish won a scrum on the 5-meter line, it looked like Bish would push the Millbrae scrum over for the walk-in try but they opted to run it to the back and the crash ball went into the defensive line of Millbrae and it wasn’t enough. But the second wave was ready and Boab Moore was not to be stopped from 5 meters at pace and he smashed through the line to pick up the 3rd try of the day. This time Catto got the extras and took it to a 17-7 lead.

Moore was not to be stopped to extend the lead

It was minutes after the restart a blow was dealt to the home side as Scrum Half Ruari Taylor was put out of action with a late tackle that went through the horizontal but the referee was passed the play and could only issue a warning. With Taylor out of action a reshuffle was in order and Peter Duncan came on to make his Home debut for the club, having been the second of the original 11 junior section players to role out for the First XV and the 8th graduate of our junior section to make the step up.  Duncan made an immediate impact in defence and attack as he was able to spot the opportunity to make and interception down the 10 channels inside the Bish 10m and once the ball was safely in hand there was no stopping him to run in the bonus point try and sliding in under the posts. Again, Catto was not going to miss from in front of the posts 24-7 to The Bish.  From here both teams coasted into half time with Bish having an almost try held up right on the whistle.

There was no catching Duncan on his home debut

The second half started off with a fiery temperament with a brawl breaking out on the pitch with the two players that the referee deemed to have started the altercation both seeing red taking the two teams down to 14 men.

The game soon settled into a pace of back and forth and then moved to uncontested scrums at the request of Millbrae from here Bish were able to take advantage one last time, when a change up in the pack saw Clark at number 8 and he was able to come off the back of the scrum and crash over a tired defence. Again, Catto added the extras to take the score to 31-7 to the home team.

Clark carried the ball with intent and it paid off

The second half came to an end in the same way the first did in the whistle going on another apparent Bishopton try but this time rather than being held up the pass to the last man was forward and the referee called an end to the contest.

Ryan Moore was able to pick up the Pride of the Clyde Man of the Match after another strong appearance in a Bishopton kit and Captain Harry Seymour was in good form in picking up the C-R-Y Glue Player for the day in keeping the team together and contributing to key periods of play.

Another strong bonus point for the Bish to keep the ball rolling and moving into next weekend when the team are back on the road to visit Loch Lomond.