Match Report – Bishopton RFC v Lenzie RFC 20/10/2018

 Bishopton – 5


 Lenzie – 66

Tries; Gary Clark





With the league settling in recent weeks Lenzie are clear out at the top of the league and looking like the team to be stopped and the Holmpark men were looking to do just that as the team at the top of the tree were yet another team to make a long overdue visit to Bishopton.

The Bishopton team was again much changed once more with injuries and suspensions resulting in another shakeup to the stating XV. With Bish now having had a different starting line up every week since the second week of the season. This has just shown the strength and depth that the squad have in the current climate, a huge advantage in a very strong league.

Thinks looked to start off well for the home side as the spent the majority of the first 5 minutes in the oppositions half and it looked to be an even contest, all it took was small lapse in concentration at a scrum on the Bish 22.  The Lenzie number 8 went with the ball from the back of the scrum and quick hands to the backs proved lethal to get to the Fullback who was able to sprint round the outside to get in.  But it was a quick fire double from the visitors as they were quick to win a penalty and gain a line out well inside the 22, from the resulting line out the maul and drive was deadly giving Lenzie the opportunity to go over for their second try with both conversion being good they were up 0-14.

From here Bish looked like they might finally get a hold back in the game but it would prove only to be a consolation for the day. As the forwards worked hard to get the ball forward inch by inch after having won a penalty on the 5m. As they worked to within half a meter of the line it was Clark that was able to get on the end of it to dive over the last meter. Catto’s conversion drifted wide to leave the score at 5-14.

Clark kept his scoring ways

Another quick fire double from Lenzie then came. As they once again were able to ship quick ball once more from the lineout to the backs to keep things moving very quickly out to the opposite wing where one of the Flankers was able to get on the end of it – this conversion dropped short and the score went to 5-19. Straight from the restart the visitors were awarded a scrum and again the well drilled backs were able to work to the wing and canter round the outside to gain the bonus point try the conversion went: 5-26 Lenzie. Halftime was reached without any further damage.

The defence was put to the test

As the second half started the traffic was all towards the Bishopton try line with the visitors running in a further six tries with five being converted. It was a testament to the league leaders and shows why they are top. The well drill side build off of the strong set pieces of the forwards with the lineout and scrum being the starting point for four of the six with only two tries coming from the open play. Leaving the final score at 5-66.

Bishopton were kept on their toes all day

The Bish did have some clear open pieces of play in the second half getting close to the Lenzie line on a couple of occasions but their defence was able to hold strong. The Pride of the Clyde Man of the Match was Captain Bruce Abernethy and the C-R-Y Glue Player was Prop Alistair Doak as they both put in defensive efforts that without could have let the final score be much higher.

Lenzie will be a hard team for anyone on the league to beat, and Bishopton will be all the wiser come the next meeting between the two having now seem them in action.

Next week Bishopton move on to play Uddingston in yet another top of the table clash with the Bishopton men getting on the road to try to gain back some respect from their latest outing.