League Opener Hyndland at Home 02/09/2017

Bishopton – 51

Tries; Kevin Maybury, Jonny Catto (3), Max Catto, Chris Lees, Matthew Wallace

Conversion; Max Catto (5)

Penalty; Max Catto (2)

Hyndland – 12


The first league game of the season finally arrived for Bishopton where we hosted Hyndland at Holmpark, and the time to put everything that the team had been working on into practice with the squad selected we were ready to go.

The game started on a sour note for Bishopton, within the first four minutes rampaging No.8 Scott Baird pulled up when on one of his trademark brakes – as the team was starting to settle into the match with some crisp passing once receiving the ball he started to stretch his legs managing to pop the ball off as he went down his afternoon was unfortunately ended.

For the first 20 minutes both teams were sizing each other up, and it was Hyndland who made the first strike after making their way up to the Bishopton 5-meter line and winning a scrum. With some quick moves off the back of the scrum a hole in the defence was found, giving them the lead at 0-7.
Straight from the kick off Bishopton were able to build some momentum up towards the Hyndland 22 soon after trying to find a way through the defence a penalty was awarded, Captain Harry Seymour opted to take the points and Max Catto stepped up and slotted from the 22m line 3-7.


Receiving the ball back from the restart Bishopton went on the march once again gaining territory as they went, after some strong carrying from the forwards the ball was recycled to the back of the ruck and a strong pick and go by Hooker Fraser Williamson moving the ball forward to within 10 meters of the line. At which point the ball was moved towards the backs and the ball was seamlessly moved along the back line before making it to Fullback Kevin Maybury who touched down to score his first try for the club on his first league start, Max Catto’s conversion attempt passed wide of the post 8-7.

Again, straight from the kick-off Bishopton looked dangerous, with winger Ross McGowan collecting the ball from the air he then managed to channel his inner Nijinsky by seeing off 3 chasing defenders with text book spinning side steps. After leaving the three players in his wake he took to the boot and launched a huge cross field kick that was knocked on by Hyndland. The Resulting scrum was something to behold as the Hyndland pack was pushed back on its self and looked like they were not going to be getting up any time soon. After taking control and pushing over the second scrum Hyndland gave away another penalty and the decision to kick the points from right in front of the posts was taken with Max Catto making the score at Half Time 11-7 to Bishopton.

The Second half started rampantly for the Bishopton team continuing as they had left the first half, receiving the ball and started to build the phases towards the try line, Max Catto released the ball to his brother Jonny who was able find a gap in the defence and stride through it. Max then added the extras 18-7.

From the restart, the ball was secured once more and the forwards took the game to Hyndland by rumbling through several phases of play and once again reaching the half way line. From here Scrum Half Rob Wallace delivered the ball to Max Catto who managed to fend off two opposition players before he found the line that took him to the corner dotting down for the points. Unfortunately, the conversion from the wing fell short 23-7.

Bishopton then went through a period of frustration twice getting over the try line but in both instances the scores were not awarded by the official. The first was the result of a strong team effort with both the Backs and the Forwards linking up. In a move that had all three Catto brothers involved before Ruaridh popped the ball of to Lock Alex Neil who was able to dive over the line only for the referee to pull the play back for a Hyndland scrum.

Hyndland tried to run the ball out of their own half only for the ball to be turned over by Seymour, from the turnover the ball was played out to Lock Kyle Haldane who made a drive for the line with the ball going back to Hyndland. With the ball in possession Hyndland cleared their lines resulting in a Bish line out just inside the 22m with the line out throw being tipped back and going loose Back Row Ryan Moore was able to gather and danced his way through both teams in the line out before making a sprint down 5-meter channel before putting a foot out of bounds before he touched the ball down for the attempted try.

With the ball coming back for yet another line out Bish were able to steal the Hyndland put in and ship the ball back towards the posts with the ball being brought within 5 meters were Flanker Chris Lees picked and went from the back of the ruck that was formed and bullied his way through three defenders in order to get over the line and open his account for the season. The conversion by Catto took the score to 30-7.

From here on out the flood gates were opened with quick rugby gaining three quick fire tries.
The first of which was taken from a scrum set piece with some back and forth passes between the half backs before being popped up to Centre Jonny Catto to run in his second try of the day 37-7 Being right in front of post the conversion by younger brother Max was made.

The most loudly received and talked (Mainly by the scorer himself) about try of the day try of the day came next when Veteran Front Row Matthew Wallace came on, on the pitch for only twenty seconds zipped through to receive the ball from a tackle 1 meter from the try line. At the age of 52 being able to grab a try on the opening day of the season is no mean feat. However, Matthew will be kicking himself that the try had not come one game earlier at the tail end of last season as that would have kept a very impressive record alive up until last season Matthew had scored for 32 consecutive seasons since he started playing Senior rugby. This would have made it 34 had he been able to cross the whitewash last year! Once again Catto added the extra 2, 44-7

The final Bishopton score of the day again came from a quick return from the restart, with the pack again gaining the hard yards up the pitch for Back Row Ryan Moore once again getting the ball in hand and going on a mazy run around a tired Hyndland defence before offloading to Jonny Catto the man that seemed to be everywhere in the match crossed again to grab his hattrick for the day. and a solid kicking display was rounded off by Max. 51-7

The last play of the game came from Hyndland where they were able to recover their restart and push forward. After some nice passing moves from Hyndland there were able to take advantage of a lapse of concentration from the Bishopton defence and get over the try line. Making the final score 51-12. After a strong performance and in oginising the plays and running the game not to mention picking up a try and making 7/9 kicks from the tee Man of the Match went to Max Catto.

A strong performance all round from the team that they will look to carry on to next week where they meet Lochaber in what will be a top of the table clash! Okay so its only the second game of the season by the table doesnt lie does it? It should make to be a good match for sure so make your plans to come on down HERE 

Pictures courtesy of Siân Neil and Al Goold Photo