Match Report – Bishopton RFC v Clydebank RFC 22/09/2018

Bishopton – 17


 Clydebank – 33



Tries; Ruari Taylor (2), Ryan Moore

Conversion; Max Catto


Saturday saw changes with in the Bishopton squad as several members were out of action, but there was still a strong team set to be on the pitch. The opposition on show were Clydebank who have not made a trip to Holmpark in over a decade.

It was the visitors that got the game underway giving Bish the ball to run it back straight from the get go. Bishopton worked their way up to the Clydebank 5-meter line, Bish earned the penalty. Having been a strong point in the opening three games Bishopton took the scrum, unlike others so far this season Clydebank’s held strong but it was pulled up at 8 and popped off to Taylor at scrum half, who was able to run around the side and under the post. Catto was able to split the posts with the conversion to take the score to 7-0.

Clydebank were quick to hit back having stolen the ball back they worked their way up the middle with some heavy carrying and crashing from the forwards. And it was from the back of a ruck meters out that the ball was popped to one of the forwards who was able to crash over the line. The conversion was good and the scores levelled at 7-7.

Bishopton looked set to take the game back to Clydebank and they forced a 5-meter line out and off the back of the throw and they looked close to make the try but a knock on in the tackle resulted in Clydebank having the scrum. They took full advantage. With some quick hands before the got into the Bish 22 where they made some strong forward lines through the middle pulling the defence in and creating the overlap on the outside to allow the winger to work his way in for the score. The long wide conversion was good 7-14 Clydebank.

It wasn’t long until the Clydebank forwards were on the go again and this time it was the powerful number 8 that was able to power through the Bish line, bashing his way through the line to grab a mighty try. The conversion from the Stand-off once again went straight through the posts. 7-21 Clydebank. Then almost straight from the restart Clydebank were straight back on the attack putting Bish on the back foot where they managed to win a scrum from a knock on. From the scrum they were able to spin the ball out. Finding one of the centres to crash over the line to secure the bonus point for the visitors. The score moved to 7-28 from here Bishopton managed to see out the clock and make it to half time.

The second half started the way that the first had ended with Clydebank making for the try line once more. They gained an early penalty and took for the line from the line the Clydebank went up and brought the ball down and started to drive to the line and the large number 8 was stood at the back ready to pounce at the opportune moment for his second try of the day. The conversion was wide and a first miss of the day and it would prove to be the last chance of the day for Clydebank as Bishopton started to kick into gear.

The spark for the road back came once again in the form of Scrum half Ruari Taylor who was quick off the mark on Bish winning a penalty on the 10-meter inside his own half. He took the quick tap in front of the Clydebank pack and was able to dance his way round them and make for home. Getting himself to the try line and scoring Catto’s conversion dropped short, making the score 12-33 Clydebank.

For the next 20 minutes both teams stood resolute in defence with neither team looking like they would make the break Bishopton where very aware that they needed to pull something from the game and it looked like they might just manage that with 5 minutes to go and all the traffic going their way. When Hooker Moore made the break off yet another quick penalty from Taylor from 10 meters out Moore was able to slip the defence. With the scent of a bonus try point in the air Catto sacrificed the conversion with a drop goal to get the game back underway for the bonus point.

But Clydebank had the last of the attacks looking set to go over but the ball was held up short and the referee made to call the game.


Bishopton’s Pride of the Clyde Man of the Match was Captain Bruce Abernethy for another strong display in defence in what could have been a much larger defeat. And the Glen Lusset Glue Player was Scrum Half Ruari Taylor for pulling the team back into the game with his two tries’.

Next week Bishopton take the long trip down to Wigtownshire to get things back on track in the league against the team that piped them to first position in the league last season for promotion.